Mumbai: Bandra station foot-over-bridge: A stampede on a footbridge at a Mumbai railway station was really serious in nature, people has already warned for it before year. This tragedy has left 23 people dead and injured more than 30, Indian officials report. However now it looks like the Bandra Station foot over bridge is next in the line for a disaster to happen.
Another disaster GUARANTEED to happen. Sleep on, dear administrators. After all, the so-called spirit of Mumbaikars will come to your rescue in the event of another "minor" disaster killing a few dozen hapless citizens happens.
Get on with your apathy after finishing your inquiries and committee meetings on the Elphinstone Station disaster, posted a daily commuter of bandra station foot over bridge on his facebook post.
So how can you improve the safety of people at the railway footoverbridge
- Put in place a crowd control measures at every major stations / junctions like Borivali, Andheri, Bandra, Dadar, Mumbai Central, Kalyan, Thane, Vikroli, Ghatkopar, Kurla, Byculla and CST.
This will just require a team to be put in place, which will guide people entering and exiting from station and ensure that human traffic is not interrupted in any way. This team should work in tandem with RPF and GRP. If government norms poses an obstacle in hiring these people immediately then for time being this task can be outsourced to citizens groups.
- Ask GRP and RPF to remove all encroachments and hawkers from over bridges. Government need to do this immediately and on permanent basis. It is time for Government and Railways to show that they are sincere.
- Put proper shades at all railway stations and over bridges. Government has time till next June to carry out this activity before onset of monsoon.
- Deploy people who will help commuters in boarding the train and make sure that no one is hanging dangerously on foot board. These people will also help to control the behaviour of miscreants who occupy the door and prevent people from boarding.
All above will require a work force of 500 to 1000 in total. They can be deployed at each railway station across Mumbai. Assuming average salary of around 3 lacs per year, this amounts to only 30 Cr of investment. I believe Government can spend 30 Crore this year to ensure safety of Mumbaikars. If not, we can crowdfund to collect this.
- Seek help from Japan Railway(JR) and train people in how to set processes and manage things in available infrastructure and resources especially emergency and disaster management. It doesn’t require major capital investment.
Most important WE need to learn to follow the procedures diligently however insignificant it looks which I have observed in Japan. This “CHALTA HAI” attitude needs to GO.
It is good we are bringing the Bullet train in India but we should go beyond and import the safety and precision of Japanese Railway system as well.
You may also like to read our latest analysed news:
- Fake news check: Kashmiri terrorists said that RSS supplied weapons and money to them
- No it is not Varanasi roads but Nanpu Bridge, Shanghai
- Yes Did Rahul Gandhi said congress is a party of Muslims
- Did anyone else see RAF flyby in London It's Coming Home is fake
Note: If you like being among the first to know about latest news, trending hoaxes, fake news etc, consider giving us a like on facebook or follow us on twitter (@myayupp)