Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day.
eMessage made by – Social media and internet
Confirmation by Ayupp.com – False News
Fact Sheet: Guns Save Lives
- Guns save more lives than they take; prevent more injuries than they inflict
* Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day.  This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. 
* Of the 2.5 million times citizens use their guns to defend themselves every year, the overwhelming majority merely brandish their gun or fire a warning shot to scare off their attackers. Less than 8% of the time, a citizen will kill or wound his/her attacker.
* As many as 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse.
* Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense every year. The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of "Guns in America" -- a study which was authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig.
* Armed citizens kill more crooks than do the police. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (1,527 to 606). And readers of Newsweek learned that "only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The 'error rate' for the police, however, was 11 percent, more than five times as high."
* Handguns are the weapon of choice for self-defense. Citizens use handguns to protect themselves over 1.9 million times a year.  Many of these self-defense handguns could be labeled as "Saturday Night Specials."
- Concealed carry laws help reduce crime
* Nationwide: one-half million self-defense uses. Every year, as many as one-half million citizens defend themselves with a firearm away from home.  * Concealed carry laws are dropping crime rates across the country. A comprehensive national study determined in 1996 that violent crime fell after states made it legal to carry concealed firearms. The results of the study showed:
* States which passed concealed carry laws reduced their murder rate by 8.5%, rapes by 5%, aggravated assaults by 7% and robbery by 3%;  and * If those states not having concealed carry laws had adopted such laws in 1992, then approximately 1,570 murders, 4,177 rapes, 60,000 aggravated assaults and over 11,000 robberies would have been avoided yearly.
* Vermont: one of the safest five states in the country. In Vermont, citizens can carry a firearm without getting permission... without paying a fee... or without going through any kind of government-imposed waiting period. And yet for ten years in a row, Vermont has remained one of the top-five, safest states in the union -- having three times received the "Safest State Award."
* Florida: concealed carry helps slash the murder rates in the state. In the fifteen years following the passage of Florida's concealed carry law in 1987, over 800,000 permits to carry firearms were issued to people in the state.  FBI reports show that the homicide rate in Florida, which in 1987 was much higher than the national average, fell 52% during that 15-year period -- thus putting the Florida rate below the national average. 
* Do firearms carry laws result in chaos? No. Consider the case of Florida. A citizen in the Sunshine State is far more likely to be attacked by an alligator than to be assaulted by a concealed carry holder.
- During the first fifteen years that the Florida law was in effect, alligator attacks outpaced the number of crimes committed by carry holders by a 229 to 155 margin.
- And even the 155 "crimes" committed by concealed carry permit holders are somewhat misleading as most of these infractions resulted from Floridians who accidentally carried their firearms into restricted areas, such as an airport. 
- Criminals avoid armed citizens
* Kennesaw, GA. In 1982, this suburb of Atlanta passed a law requiring heads of households to keep at least one firearm in the house. The residential burglary rate subsequently dropped 89% in Kennesaw, compared to the modest 10.4% drop in Georgia as a whole. 
* Ten years later (1991), the residential burglary rate in Kennesaw was still 72% lower than it had been in 1981, before the law was passed. 
* Nationwide. Statistical comparisons with other countries show that burglars in the United States are far less apt to enter an occupied home than their foreign counterparts who live in countries where fewer civilians own firearms. Consider the following rates showing how often a homeowner is present when a burglar strikes:
* Homeowner occupancy rate in the gun control countries of Great Britain, Canada and Netherlands: 45% (average of the three countries); and, * Homeowner occupancy rate in the United States: 12.7%.  Rapes averted when women carry or use firearms for protection
* Orlando, FL. In 1966-67, the media highly publicized a safety course which taught Orlando women how to use guns. The result: Orlando's rape rate dropped 88% in 1967, whereas the rape rate remained constant in the rest of Florida and the nation. 
* Nationwide. In 1979, the Carter Justice Department found that of more than 32,000 attempted rapes, 32% were actually committed. But when a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3% of the attempted rapes were actually successful.  Justice Department study:
* 3/5 of felons polled agreed that "a criminal is not going to mess around with a victim he knows is armed with a gun." 
* 74% of felons polled agreed that "one reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime." * 57% of felons polled agreed that "criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police."
Published in https://www.gunowners.org/sk0802htm.htm
Ayupp Analysis – → More than 100,000 people in America are shot in assaults, murders, suicide attempts, accidents and by police intervention. 31,537 people die from gun violence: ✓ 11,583 people are murdered. ✓ 18,783 people kill themselves.
However the statistics in the rumored message above is not truly given.
As per statistics, above 42% of the time, the victim took who some action — who questioned the offender, who yelled at the offender, who dared to struggle, who ran away, or people who called the police. It was a least percent when the victim used a gun, it is only about less than 1% of the incidents (127/14,145). What we can say is that the guns used in the self defense is very rare in almost many countries, where very less percent of people used the guns for self defence, even in gun-rich country like united states, is rare.
It is sometimes assumed hat guns are can be beneficial to weaker victims, especially women. However of the more than 300 sexual assaults reported in the surveys shows that, the number of times women were able to use a gun to protect themselves was zero. They were more frightened in using gun though possessing one.
A study of 10 last years of crime survey data found that there were more than 1,100 sexual assaults and in only one case the victim used a gun in self-defense.
The data, do not provide support for the notion that using a gun in self-defense reduces the chances of injury. Little more than 4% of victims got injured during or after a self-defense gun used. The same percentage of people were injured during or after taking other protective actions. People who took some other forms of protective actions got associated with higher rates of injury and some with lower (for example, running away).
Guns however did seem beneficial in: protecting against loss of property. Further looking at crimes in which the intent was to steal, the victim lost their property in only 38% of the incidents when using a gun, as compared with 56% of the time when taking other actions.
Guns are commonly not used as a mechanism of self defense as given in the above article or spam message.
Further stating people owing gun and using gun in self defense both are two different aspects. It has been observed that many people who had guns got afraid at the real times and were not being to use the guns for self defence. Instead there are many cases ehre guns were stolen in the households that had on. Gun theft is a main pathway by which guns end up in criminal hands.
You may also like to read our latest analysed news:
- Fact Check: New Laws in VA to Ban Hiding painted rocks in Public Spaces is prank
- Fact Check: Fake news Giant Squid Washes Ashore on Lake Michigan
- Fact Check: A mother tiger nursing a piglet in California Zoo
- Fact Check: Outbreak of STDs at Crockett County High School
Note: Our WhatsApp Number is +91 78922 31645. it is NOT a real-time support.
Please Let us know your feedback on our viral message and Ayupp. You can also send us any Viral message or any News for verification.
Click here and Submit your message for verification