Dost_PAGASA Visayas VS Dost_pagasa
News Claim: The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) issued a warning regarding the group which posted the original content in its new facebook group, nothing to do with the original group.
Dost_pagasa, warned about the duplicate the social media Dost_PAGASA Visayas, claiming the group is not official social media account of the agency.
The below and other post is viral from the social media group and shared by thousands of others.
SEVERE WEATHER BULLETIN #4
FOR: TROPICAL DEPRESSION "#NimfaPH"
TROPICAL CYCLONE: ALERT
ISSUED AT 11:00 PM, 18 September 2019
(Valid for broadcast until the next bulletin to be issued at 11 AM tomorrow)
TROPICAL DEPRESSION "NIMFA" MAINTAINS ITS STRENGTH WHILE MOVING SLOWLY OVER THE NORTHERN PORTION OF THE PHILIPPINE SEA.
- Between tonight and tomorrow (19 September) evening, moderate to occasional heavy rains will be experienced over Zambales, Bataan, Tarlac, Pampanga, Pangasinan, and La Union. Occasional light to moderate rains with intermittent heavy rains will affect Metro Manila, Cagayan Valley, CALABARZON, MIMAROPA, Western Visayas, and the rest of Central Luzon, Ilocos Region and Cordillera Administrative Region. Scattered rains and isolated thunderstorms are expected over the rest of Luzon.
• Residents of the aforementioned areas, especially those living in areas identified to be highly or very highly susceptible to floods and rain-induced landslides, are advised to take precautionary measures, coordinate with local disaster risk reduction and management offices, and continue monitoring for updates, especially the Thunderstorm or Rainfall Advisories and Heavy Rainfall Warnings to be issued by PAGASA Regional Services Divisions.
• Sea travel is risky, especially for small seacrafts, over the northern and eastern seaboards of Northern Luzon due to potentially rough to very rough sea conditions. Most of the other seaboards of the country will remain moderate to rough.
Location of eye/center At 10:00 PM today, the center of Tropical Depression "NIMFA" was estimated based on all available data at 750 km East Northeast of Basco, Batanes (22.1°N, 129.0°E).
Strength Maximum winds of up to 55 km/h near the center and gustiness of up to 70 km/h.
Movement Moving North Northeast Slowly.
• 24 Hour(Tomorrow evening): 690 km East Northeast of Basco, Batanes(22.7°N, 128.2°E)
• 48 Hour(Friday evening):635 km Northeast of Basco, Batanes(24.0°N, 126.8°E)
• 72 Hour(Saturday evening): 950 km North Northeast of Basco, Batanes (OUTSIDE PAR)(28.0°N, 126.3°E)
• 96 Hour(Sunday evening):1,815 km North Northeast of Basco, Batanes (OUTSIDE PAR)(34.9°N, 130.5°E)
NO TROPICAL CYCLONE WIND SIGNAL
The public and the disaster risk reduction and management council concerned are advised to take appropriate actions and watch for the next update to be incorporated in the 4 AM Public Weather Forecast and in the next Severe Weather Bulletin to be issued at 11 AM tomorrow.
Facts Check: (False), The above viral information is true, but not from the orginal facebook group.Google Advertisement:
Facts Check Analysis: The news shared social media by a facebook group Dost_PAGASA Visayas is called as non official website of the original website, which gives weather and other updates.
The original facebook group is Dost_pagasa
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), presently existing, is hereby reorganized and shall have the following functions:
The duplicate group, website link provided is http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph
Whereas the original website is http://bagong.pagasa.dost.gov.ph
PAGASA said this "Haze Bulletin" was then shared online on various social media sites, thus misleading people into thinking that the information came from the state weather bureau.
On the press release the pagasa.dost published,
There are posts related to a “Haze Bulletin” allegedly issued by PAGASA that are currently
circulating online and being shared in various social networking services. These posts were
found to have originated from a particular “Dost_PAGASA Visayas” Facebook Page.
PAGASA would like to inform the public that the aforementioned page is NOT an official social
media account of the agency. Furthermore, the agency has not issued any “Haze Bulletin”.
All PAGASA products from the Central Office and the Regional Services Divisions are posted
online through the following official accounts:
YouTube: DOST-PAGASA WEATHER REPORT
The public is advised to remain vigilant against unofficial information coming from unverified sources.