Dry States, Alcohol Ban: Every year when the New Year knocks our door, it is party for many of us. Many celebrate this by going outside on picnic, lunch outside or hang out with friends. However there are lakhs of people who prefer the New Year eve with drinks party. However for this dry states where Liquor is banned will have to skip this option of drink and Party.
Which are the states where liquor is banned?
- Gujarat: It is the only state in India, with a death penalty for the manufacture and sale of homemade liquor that results in fatalities. The legislation is titled the Gujarat Amendment Bill; 2009.The legislation was prompted by numerous deaths resulting from the consumption of methyl alcohol.
On 24 August 2014, the Chief Minister Oommen Chandy announced, that state will implement prohibition in a phased manner.
Liquor bars in Kerala had to renew licenses every year; and subsequently it stopped renewing the licenses. It did not give license any bar on 31 March 2014, resulting in the closure of 418 bars. Kerala government also declared its intention of not renewing licenses of the remaining 313 bars. The state owned, 338 shops and Kerala State Beverages Corporation will shut down every year around 10% of them .
Still sale of alcohol will continue to be permitted in 5-star hotels in Kerala.
The proposed plan is to regulate alcohol consumption using Aadhaar cards to a maximum of 14 units per week. This is way of Government of Kerala to promote healthy living.
On 26 November 2015, The Bihar CM Nitish Kumar announced that alcohol would be banned in the state from 1 April 2016. He officially declared the total ban on 5 April 2016. Violating the law carries a penalty of 5 years to 10 years imprisonment. On 30 September 2016 Bihar High Court ruled that the ban is "illegal, impractical and unconstitutional". On 7 October 2016 , the supreme court, stayed the high court order. Ban on liquor and fundamental rights do not go together, the SC bench said. On 25 October 2016, the Bihar Government decided to renew liquor licences of canteens in cantonment areas, air force stations and military.
It was done in 1989 by the Nagaland Liquor Total Prohibition Act (NLTP) and consumption of alcohol in 1989. The Congress party has termed prohibition a "total failure" and has pleaded for it to be revoked.
- Union Territory of Lakshadweep: Lakshadweep is the only union territory that bans the sale and consumption of alcohol. Consumption is permitted only on the island of Bangaram. Bangaram is an uninhabited island, but the Bangaram Island Resort has a bar.
(With Inputs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_prohibition_in_India)
You may also like to read our latest analysed news:
- Fact check: PM Modi sitting next to women inside a aircraft is fake
- Official Congress page sponsoring ads on Facebook in Pakistan to remove Modi!
- Video: Rahul Gandhi mimics PM Modi at a rally in Madhya Pradesh, Morena
- Garden radio ISRO is designed by Studio Moniker in Amsterdam
Note: If you like being among the first to know about latest news, trending hoaxes, fake news etc, consider giving us a like on facebook or follow us on twitter (@myayupp)