What are the various diseases caused by blood transfusion
Human Body is very selective and sophisticated by nature. It keeps only that thing which it requires else it rejects the things which are externally provided to it. Apart from this every human body has distinct approach to it, some may accept and some reject the external provided supplement to the body.
Blood is an integral part of the circulatory system of the body that carries various things to the different parts of the body and Very often the blood gets impure or gets infected due to various diseases. In such a case, people need to undergo the blood transfusion process.
During blood transfusion the human body gets additional supply of blood externally. This blood is often collected from different people. This blood is then inserted into the bodies of those people who need it. This process is often termed as blood transfusion.
Though blood transfusion, is quite easy and life saving to the people in need, but often it becomes life threatening when the body rejects it and there are several chances that it may cause other diseases.
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV): This is one of the most life threatening effect that can be caused after blood transfusion. The HIV infection over time leads to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). AIDS is a condition in humans in which progressive failure of the immune system allows life-threatening opportunistic infections and cancers to thrive. Without treatment, average survival time after infection with HIV is estimated to be 9 to 11 years.
- Bone Cancer: A severe type of cancer called bone cancer can be caused in the cells that create the bones in the body. Since blood is present at these cells, there remains a great chance of getting the infection if it carries the germs that are responsible for the infection.
- Hepatitis/Viral Hepatitis: Hepatitis is a liver infection that can cause a severe type of Jaundice. Available in many variants (namely Hepatitis A, B, C, D, E and G), Hepatitis is a deadly disease that causes death to millions of people every year. This is a severe disease caused by blood transfusion, as many donors themselves suffer from these infections.
- Leukaemia: It is another name of blood cancer. The number of victims of this deadly disease is increasing at an alarming rate. Supply of blood in the body of the patients is a common treatment, and therefore, a patient easily gets infected with the cancer, if the blood carries it. The blood cells get damaged and that reduces the capacity to fight against diseases. The patients of blood cancer are often short-lived in comparison to other types of the same disease.
- Sickle Cell Anaemia: is another prominent disease among all the types of diseases caused by blood transfusion. The doctors agree that this is inherited from the family members; it also spreads through infected blood transfusion.
- Thalassemia: It is an inherited disease that the parents usually pass on to their kids. This disease prevents the formation of new blood cells in the body, and that is why blood transfusion becomes the solitary treatment for this disease. In such a situation, the disease spreads faster if the normal body gets infected blood through blood transfusion.
These are some of the terrible diseases caused by blood transfusion. If one searching for more information, can get a lot of reference from Wikipedia. There are many more types of diseases caused by blood transfusion. Knowing about them and taking the right preventive measure are the best ways to avoid such diseases that can be caused by blood transfusion.