Punjab polls 2017, Chandigarh: In the Upcoming election in the Punjab, it will be really tough for Navjot Singh Sidhu who joined the congress party only at the last minute, just before the election has to justify his exit from the BJP with whom he was associated for the last 12 years and had enjoyed all the powers in the state.
Navjot Singh from being a cricketer, turned-politician, turned TV host to BJP MP and again turned towards Congress legislator aspirant has a lot of experience in the politics as of now,however his latest move into the Congress just before the election, he would not be able to answer many questions, which he is asking because he himself has to answer those questions as he was in BJP for so long.
Sidhu left the BJP last September 2016 after being with the party for over 12 years; Sidhu initially was showing signs of joining the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and the Congress in the run-up to the assembly elections.
When things did not go well in his way inside the BJP, first he floated a political front, Awaaz-e-Punjab, which was supposed to provide a fourth option to voters in Punjab and was termed by many as a bold move, however it was not soon enough, this move remained a non-starter and Sidhu kept everyone guessing in Punjab about joining another political front especially AAP.
Finally he joined the Congress and all gearing up for the political battleground for the February 4 assembly polls in 117 constituencies of Punjab.
Sidhu’s main political rival in Punjab is the ruling Badal family, which is being headed by five-time Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and the Shiromani Akali Dal, the BJP and the new entrants AAP.
Important facts-check on Sidhu are.
- For 10 years, from 2004 to 2014, Sidhu remained part of the BJP as the Amritsar Lok Sabha MP.
- His wife, Navjot Kaur, was a BJP legislator from Amritsar-East and even remained Chief Parliamentary Secretary till a couple of months back.
- Sidhus are now being accused of enjoying power with the Akalis and the BJP and now gunning for them.
- Sidhu, is accusing the Akalis and Badals of huge corruption over the past 10 years of their rule, was very much part of the alliance government directly and through his wife.
- He hardly raised his voice against such big corruption taking place.
- Another weak point for Sidhu has been his performance as an MP, He was often termed as absentee and missing lawmaker. At times, his posters were put up by opponents in his constituency offering to reward anyone giving information about Navjot Singh Sidhu.
- The AAP and Sidhu are now taking each other names, however it was not too long ago when both sides , Sidhu and AAP used to praise each other and were into serious negotiations for a political deal which ultimately died.
- Sidhu's own front, the Awaaz-e-Punjab, came a cropper as he failed to spare time and effort to give it any direction. Two of its founders, the Bains brothers (Balwinder and Simarjit) from Ludhiana, have now formed an alliance with AAP to contest the assembly polls. The fourth member, former hockey team captain and Olympian Pargat Singh, like Sidhu, contesting on a Congress ticket.
- Looks like Sidus Joining, Congress is a bit late for Sidhu, which he must have done quite earliar even the party leaders are not sure about him of his advantage, as he had been totally un-impression of being politically unstable that he has created for himself.
- Sidhu's well-known oratorical skills may not helped him in the past but present is not so good because of his uncertain politics he had placed for himself.
Whether he turns out to be an asset or a liability for the Congress, the assembly election results will tell soon, however the Résumé of Navjot Singh Sidhu looks to be too bad to fit into the job this time and looks like he would not be selected, but again only time will speak.
You may also like to read our latest analysed news:
- Fact check: PM Modi sitting next to women inside a aircraft is fake
- Official Congress page sponsoring ads on Facebook in Pakistan to remove Modi!
- Video: Rahul Gandhi mimics PM Modi at a rally in Madhya Pradesh, Morena
- Garden radio ISRO is designed by Studio Moniker in Amsterdam
Note: If you like being among the first to know about latest news, trending hoaxes, fake news etc, consider giving us a like on facebook or follow us on twitter (@myayupp)