Left over onions are poisonous, CUT ONIONS ABSORB BACTERIA: Fact Check

Ayupp Ayupp

Viral Message:
CUT ONIONS ABSORB BACTERIA--- and so are good at preventing us from getting colds & flu if placed in infected places/ rooms etc.

eMessage on – Social media and internet

Fact Check by Ayupp– HOAX / FALSE

Viral Message Example 


CUT ONIONS ABSORB BACTERIA--- and so are good at preventing us from getting colds & flu if placed in infected places/ rooms etc.

For that very reason we should NOT eat an onion that has been sitting for a time after it has been cut open.

Left over onions are poisonous.

When food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials look for is whether the 'victim' ate ONIONS and where those onions came from?

Uncooked Cut Onions are Huge Magnets for Bacteria.

Never ever keep a portion of sliced onion over a period of time and thereafter use it to prepare food. It's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and place it in your refrigerator. It may still be poisonous.

Please remember, it is dangerous to save a cut onion for next day cooking. It may become highly poisonous even during a single night - as it develops toxic bacteria which lead to excessive bile secretions and the combined effect may be adversely affected stomach and even food poisoning.

Viral Message Verification – The message shared in good intention, however lacks in scientific evidence and facts. Onions which has been used for thousands of years holds no Authencity to prove that it can become poisonous if left over for long time.

Let us do one by one analysis of the above fact

Do Cut Onions Attract Bacteria?

Never, in that case all the vegetables which are cut would attract bacteria. However you must have seen Onions turning black because it rots from the cell breakdown events and bacterial contamination, if left out and not because it absorbs germs.
White rot of onions, leeks, and garlic is caused by the soil-borne fungus Sclerotium cepivorum. As the roots rot, the foliage turns yellow and wilts.
Left over onions are never become toxic, though their color may change and will rot over time, if not kept in proper condition. Left over onions never become poisonous.


You may also like to read our latest analysed news:
- Fake news promoted by Pakistan journalist Hamid Mir against India is shameful
- Did Rahul Gandhi go blank when asked about his experience at Kailash Mansarovar?
- SreeShanth is Using Mobile Phone in Biggboss House ?
- Did Modi Govt Chose Ambani For Rafale Deal, Prez Hollande

Note: If you like our work, don't forget to share and like ayupp.com on facebook, twitter.
Ayupp News